Thread: WEC Rebellion Racing
View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3828526)   #2012
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yet you have a driver going on record (irrespective of the site) saying that if they go as fast or faster than Toyota they can get penalized. However, that's the first that I've heard of it being a drive through or stop and go penalty. The penalty as I read it, at the officials' discretion, is a reduction of fuel allotment for the rest of the race.

Should Toyota be faster? Going by the Audi, Peugeot, Porsche, et al examples, yes, they should be. They're the one's with the $100 million program vs private teams with a fraction of that. But this is the first time ever that I've read in a rule book that a factory team should automatically be faster per rules, to the tune of .5 of a second around Le Mans.

Of course, how the ACO do intend to measure this is interesting, by basing it off the fastest 20 laps over a given period of time. Where the waters actually get muddy there is that the ACO will have to take into account track conditions (such as weather), FCYs, slow zones, pace car situations, etc.

No matter how you do split it, the ACO have an unenviable job, no matter how we may rip on them for seemingly sometimes saying one thing and either doing another or back tracking on it.

But then again, and I know that I'll catch flak for this, but even Daily Sports Car are guilty of sometimes using headlines to get clicks, like with the Fillion Hints at 2020/2024 regs. I didn't read anything there that I didn't read elsewhere, aside from Fillion taking a dig at Audi Sport and Porsche for bringing in high tech at a high cost--ironically what the ACO wanted them to do at the time.

And oddly, the ACO by 2020/21 want to get rid of EOT and basically replace it with BOP. But that's a discussion for another thread.