View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2020, 21:55 (Ref:3970427)   #11
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Right, but teams were allowed to modify their Porsches and did so to a large degree. Even the chassis/tubs would come from numerous constructors, not just Porsche themselves.
As broadly true as that is for sprint racing, all the Porsches at Le Mans in the year I was looking at were quite standard besides the 936C. It was in later years when newer factory cars were making the 962 obsolete that people really started throwing things at them to try to catch up. While the factory was still involved and customer teams were regularly winning Group C races there wasn't much happening besides gluing on front wings. So that's once again innovation being driven by scarcity of top level equipment rather than just freedom.

The Spykers weren't raced for fun or sport, had it been a private race team with no outside concerns besides racing they would have just bought a Porsche. Even most Ferrari GTs aren't sold for really sporting reasons but their collector value and pay driver prestige makes them worth it. Point is LMP2 is quite unfair from a car builder standpoint but it's extremely fair from an entrant standpoint.

Say in theory to address that while protecting the teams I'd rather have a lower cost cap and no constructor limit, so from the team's standpoint they can afford to swap cars more easily if someone knocks off the top car, but I then wonder if more than one constructor would want to build cars for such a category at all with the ratio of R&D cost to sales income and it wouldn't create an F3 situation.