View Single Post
Old 21 Feb 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1231697)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nascar's Impact on Champ Car's Future

Did anyone else watch any of the Daytona 500 yesterday? I intended to watch more of it, but I ended up watching something else because I thought it was garbage and couldn't stand it anymore. They had their foots to the floor the whole time and their speeds varied by 6mph. They couldn't really pass except on restarts. It seems absurd that the "rear draft" plays such a huge role. Relying on "friends" in order to pass/succeed takes the point out of racing. The philosophy behind Nascar is to keep it simple and focus on the drivers, but at least for the restrictor plate races, it's almost worse than F1 in terms of the lack of emphasis on the drivers.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I bring this up to discuss a common point that we tend to bring up in this forum. We're always talking about how Nascar is making life difficult for Champ Car and how Nascar has the market cornered, etc. Think about it though, there are more people interested in motorsports now thanks to Nascar, it's a big sport like Football or Baseball. I can't imagine that every Nascar fan is perfectly satisfied with the series. I think that they might get into other motorsports if they saw something interesting. Imagine if they had a choice between watching the Daytona 500 or one of the Hanford device races at MI or Fontana? Don't you think at least a substantial portion would think that a properly executed Champ Car race on a similar track would be more entertaining?

So after that long winded lead up, my final question is can you see any other opportunities for Champ Car as a result of Nascar or things?

Last edited by Snrub; 21 Feb 2005 at 19:36.