View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3925846)   #68
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It seems an almost absurd place for a hotel though! The money would have been better spent on a tunnel or bridge across.....
I believe the hotel build will include a bridge to the Wing. I would imagine that was part of the deal so Silverstone effectively get the bridge for "free" (I know not strictly "free" but at least part of a contract so they don't just have to write a cheque).

The 4-hour duration and the support race lineup are not things I believe Silverstone could do anything about. At least the ELMS was there on Fri and Sat. Go to Spa in April and the WEC will have the same three-day schedule only without ELMS - it's very, very thin.

ELMS usually also runs to three days (which I think is totally unnecessary) with only a 4-hour race on the Sunday. They do have the Le Mans Cup for LMP3s though, plus took Endurance Legends to Monza and will have a new Alpine race next year.

My irritation with Silverstone is over the things they can control: grandstands, food/drink outlets and (according to others on this thread) camping. It felt like they just put in the minimum possible effort. I don't think WEC/ACO wanted to be there and I don't think Silverstone really wanted them there.