View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2020, 10:23 (Ref:4008656)   #14
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a cheapo set off eBay for about 20 quid - at that price, I thought it was worth a punt.

As others have said - I wouldn't have them on during a race, due to the possibility of damage and/or sudden deflation. They do stick out slightly on my wheels, so would be vulnerable in close racing - a scenario much less likely to occur in qualy. So, I tried them in qualy, on the basis that, as long as I'd got a few laps in before they caused any potential problem, then at least they couldn't ruin my day altogether, as they most certainly could if one failed in a race.

Really, I was just looking for some idea of real-time pressures. The ones I got weren't that accurate, but that doesn't matter as long as you know how much they're out by at a given pressure, which is easy enough to establish.

My experience with them was that they did update throughout the session, but one of them shut down for some reason and failed to provide a reading. The other three increased as expected, and ended up showing the sort of numbers I would have expected (when corrected for error). So partially useful, and it's interesting to see how quick the tyres get to a given pressure, and also to be able to see the differences based on all tyres starting from the same pressure. So, yes, a useful exercise for 20 quid. Haven't had a chance to try them again since, or to see if I can coax all four to provide readings. but I guess you can't expect too much at the price, from something that was really designed for the relatively peaceful environment of a road car, not the harsh environment of racing.