View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2022, 10:58 (Ref:4113395)   #36
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
If you add all that up, you are looking at well north of £1k per weekend for top cars in what is considered a cheaper series.

I don't offer any real solutions - although I do think a tyre limit over the season of 2 sets could be a sensible way forward.
Well.....that sounds familiar..... although the ££ figures are a bit light compared to even club level karting. .

2 sets of tyres for the season is great. Our kart drivers often use two for the weekend, one new for test day and one new for race day because they barely last a full day. At £170 per set. And you can imagine the difficulty in getting rid of them!

If the MSUK is serious about "going green" it should put an immediate tyre limit across all forms of motorsport in place, and it's up to the championships to find tyres that will last. It will slash costs and make those on a smaller budget competitive again. It's easily policed through a timing system called Alpha which also has a tyre bar code scanner built in and the championships as well as MSUK can monitor it. This will massively reduce waste and costs at a stroke.

Otherwise the demise in Historic grids is symptomatic of racing at all levels: the younger generation do not have the skills or facilities for even basic race car building. Very few modern houses have off road parking let alone a garage to double as race workshop, so running with a team becomes vital. And there's fewer people around that have learned any basic maintenance at school - even using a spanner let alone advanced engineering equipment like lump hammers!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk