View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2099554)   #56
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Absolute nonsense. tony george is funding vision racing out of his pocket as well as field fillers for indy. The irl is struggling for car count and sponsors right now outside of the top 3 teams.

The 500 is no longer the money earner it was. As far as we can tell the irl has never turned a profit. That money gets sucked up from somewhere. The fact that the league still couldn't pull it off after toyota, honda and chevy dumped hundreds of millions in and still the series is barely here. Time to give it up. Recall what the irl was started for and what the end result is and I don't think any rational person can justify what has happened over the past 15 years.

That the amigos are continually villified for trying to keep the original series alive is absurd. Who started this thing? Jeezz.
I don't disagree that indy has devalued, but the Indy500 still generates tens of millions of yearly income out of attendance and tv-fee. This is an income that keeps coming back every year and this income, the tv-ratings and the media-attention it brings is used to keep the IRL running.

I don't think the amigos are villified for trying to keep the original series alive. They are being critisized by a lot for continuing a serie that is a mere shadow of CART without any signs of improvement and which is obviously bankrolled by the owners.

I see one big similarity between the IRL and champcar and one big difference. Both owners have proven (to me at least) that they are not capable of developing a serie. The difference is that imo the IRL has a yearly revenue stream directly tied to their serie in Indy and which also relies on the IRL (where would indy be if there was no indycar-serie?), whereas champcar hasn't got a revenue-stream that is tied to their serie (apart from the owners wallet).