View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2000, 13:09 (Ref:38160)   #26
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you believe in sportsmanship and not 'win at all costs' mentality, then how can you possibly fail to distinguish between the on-track actions of Gilles and MS/Senna?
As Dino said earlier, there seems to be a shift in people's values. I am not looking through rose-tinted spectacles - as I said I am not painting Gilles as a saint - but it is no coincidence that the drivers from that era were on the whole more aware of their responsibilities to their fellow drivers and to the SPORT. I remember a race where Cheever and de Cesaris banged wheels violently with each other, not racing just venting aggression - and they were rightly castigated for it by journalists, fans and drivers alike. These days I get the impression that their behaviour would be seen as 'adding excitement to the show' on the understanding that at least they were showing some fighting spirit.
Having just read Ask Nigel on the Autosport sight an interesting insight into what has happened to F1 is that hardly any of the modern drivers seem to have any interest in the sport or it's history.
If you do not see that barging Hill off the road in Australia to gain his first WDC and attempting to barge JV off the road to gain another is the end of fair play, then I would like to know how far one can go before the end of fair play IS reached.