View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2020, 02:27 (Ref:3957770)   #177
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I haven't watched it through yet, but it looks like there was an extended hold, or two, during the Sepang race for significant rainfall. I was suspicious about that after seeing that the run time for the full stream was about what you'd expect for a 6-hour, rather than a 4-hour race.

I held off, because I didn't want to rain on CCM's parade, and then it kind of slipped my mind. Anyway, I managed to do it, watching most all of the race from Tailem Bend, but the bad sign was how mentally tired I was afterward from, presumably, keeping track of where on the circuit the cars in shot were.

To give an idea, I'd say I feel I have to break up a lap at The Bend into 9 segments. The nearest parallel, Miller in Utah, I consider it adequate to split it into just 5 sections. Even the Nordschleife, I only separate into 10, and those are long enough that you don't have to keep track of them all at once. You know which one you're in, and the one or two that are coming up next. And as a final example, Le Mans, which has roughly the same number of corners as The Bend, I probably only see the need to recognize about 6 distinct sectors there.

I still just don't see The Bend as a great option for the WEC, with more cars, and more competitive classes. The back side of the course, as expected by the drivers, so it wasn't just me, was troublesome enough in the AsLMS, even with lower-class traffic that was, largely, fairly courteous about letting faster-class cars through where and when they could. And while the WEC doesn't have LMP3, the GTEs will corner better than the GT3s, making a harder time for the Prototypes to get by.