View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:31 (Ref:257331)   #14
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My car is a 97 Ray and is one of the more modern cars out there not counting John Adlams Van Diemen 01 (an australian bound kent 01) The costs of running a kent is boosted by the engine builds and thats the only extra cost I can think of compared to a zetec.

Where the cost of a Zetec car rises above the cost of a Kent as far as I can see, is when people running at the front are testing to get good at driving them. They test which makes them better drivers and then spend money on tyres to make the car consistant with how it was in testing. With a kent not as much testing is needed to be fast and the tyres remain pretty constant throughout. I did all last year in a Van Diemen 89 on 1 set of tyres albeit with no testing and dry running throughout, but I won the castle Combe class B championship and came second overall.

So although running a zetec is cheaper, being competive in one is more costly because of the testing and tyre costs.

As far as the value of the cars goes, I think the zetecs are far more likely to lose value then a kent because of the newer versions coming in all of the time being supposedly more competitive forcing the costs of the older cars down.

Kent cars have been pretty stable throughout the past 5 years at about 5,500 to 7,500. and thats for cars built from 89 to 95.

Matt