View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2417538)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Allright, so if a sponsor on the car pays a driver's salary instead of the team (a la Michael Schumacher with Marlboro at Ferrari supposedly), does that count toward the budget cap?

If not, seems like an easy way to skirt around this rule. The team pays the driver a nominal fee but his real money is coming from the sponsor. Although that's going to open up sponsors having more control over driver selection than they do now.
I guess that could lead to creative accounting.

This system does prevent some forms of creative accounting like employing WAGs, as tried in Rugby.

Quote:
I understand the intention, I just don't see how they intend to actually do it. How is the FIA going to tell that a team did not budget 30 million pounds but instead 40 million pounds? How are they going to tell that wind tunnel time cost $25000 and not $40000? These teams are controlled by well-off millionaires and billionaires who've made hiding money an art form.
Forensic accounting. Unsure how effective it will be.

Bear in mind this is a voluntary cap. What would be more effective is a supply price cap to privateers.