Thread: '09 ACO rules
View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2009, 01:05 (Ref:2394242)   #32
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I recently realised there is something obscure or weird, depending on the outcome, in the hybrid regulations. I don't recall this particular thing getting much attention. Maybe everyone have thought it is self-evident.

It is about this, the way it is written or worded:

Recovery of energy from the brakes on the 4 wheels or from the heat of the exhaust fumes

Does this actually mean that kinetic energy recovery systems would be outlawed? Instead heat energy from the brakes could be recovered.

Ever since reading that, I guess too quickly, in November, I have naturally thought it just means that recovery of kinetic energy is allowed from the rear and front axle during braking. I think many people have thought this way, since people often just refer to KERS, where 'K' obviously stands for Kinetic.

Outlawing kinetic recovery would make absolutely no sense, and not least because it would mean 908 HY's system would be useless. And regarding the quite high limit on stored energy (1MJ - compared to F1's 400 kJ), heat recovery is much less effective.

Thoughts?

Last edited by deggis; 11 Feb 2009 at 01:10.