Thread: '09 ACO rules
View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2400345)   #36
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis

Recovery of energy from the brakes on the 4 wheels or from the heat of the exhaust fumes

Does this actually mean that kinetic energy recovery systems would be outlawed? Instead heat energy from the brakes could be recovered.

Thoughts?
Deggis - you are right - this is very strange wording from the ACO and I have been surprised that few people have picked up on it. I have spoken with a few people on this and the best we can come up with is this:-

Use of engine braking reduces heat buildup in brakes thus reduces their temperature. With a KERS generator attached the engine braking effect increases thus the brakes have less work to do and thus their temperature is lower.

Ergo the brake heat ( in all 4 wheels) has been "converted" to stored energy by the generator.

Does anyone else think this explanation stacks up?

A further point is that the ACO rules say the stored energy can only be used to increase range not speed. That, I think, is the killer; F1 KERS is certainly aimed at "press to pass" buttons specifically banned by ACO - this may be what is currently keeping the 908HY out.

This is the quote "The use of such a system must not be aimed at obtaining additional power but at reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions"

How does the Peugeot KERS do that? There may be an argument similar to the one above about heat - but I haven't worked it out - any ideas?

Mariantic