View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1322498)   #213
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's something I don't think anyone has considered, did Dale Coyne like Servia going to NH for Milwaukee? It sounds like he may not have. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS01/506050417

What is known is that if Servia doesn't stick with Newman/Haas, he isn't likely to be welcomed back by Coyne, who ran just one car in Saturday's race.

Coyne was particularly miffed that he didn't find out about Servia's departure until Wednesday afternoon, and then only from another driver calling to inquire about taking over Servia's car.

"I want a driver who is going to be loyal to the team now and in the future," said Coyne, who had a handshake agreement but no contract with Servia since they hooked up last year. "If it had been for the rest of the season, that's one thing, but to do it for one race doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

Wild stuff. It sounds like Coyne is willing to give up the best possible driver for his seat for someone who will finish 17-18th. On the other hand, I can understand why he's upset. I can't think of anyone since Jackie Stewart and Ken Tyrell that have had a handshake contract. It only works with two people of the utmost integrity. Why wouldn't Servia have talked to Coyne first? Even if he'd said, that he wanted it to come from him that he was going to be driving for NH for Milwaukee. Coyne was called by a prospective driver, I wonder who that was? Could Valiente get the seat?

Interesting comment from Servia: "If for whatever reason this turns out to be my last race in Champ Car," he said, "it (was) in a Newman/Haas car."