View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2000, 00:54 (Ref:23108)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Putting away my buttonhole microcamera, and laying down the personal helicopter cunningly disguised as a fountain-pen, I find myself with time enough between espionage assignments to reply!

In the original Ian Fleming novels, James Bond is described as owning a supercharged Bentley, which he has had modified to such an extent that Rolls-Royce have disavowed any further responsibility for it.

It sustains serious damage in the "Moonraker" novel, when Hugo Drax uses his contemporary Mercedes to force the Bentley, and an innocent Alfa Romeo Monza off the road. Can you imagine the expense of trying to film that??

The Aston Martin is a mere "pool" car which is given to Bond in the "Goldfinger" novel. No DB5 this. The book predates the launch of that one, so Bond's first Aston is in fact a grey DB2/4 Mk3.

I believe that there is a fleeting glimpse of Bond's private car near the start of the movie "From Russia With Love." However, it is a little while since I've seen the film, and I seem to recall that the car had more than a suspicion of 2-litre Lagonda about it.