Thread: ELMS ELMS Discussion
View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2020, 11:52 (Ref:3990834)   #406
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The ELMS presents some interesting questions about LMP2.

I always thought that racing and, especially, endurance, is all about machinery and men (constructors, engineers and not only drivers). There're tons of different one-make series for Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and so on. That's true, that their bosses get money from participants, not viewers. But who is going to watch these cups only?
Le Mans or Daytona were always about constructors competition. It's not so difficult to name the best cars of the past but who can remember the entire team of drivers who had won in Sebring in 1975 without any Net or book searching?
The greatest fun is to chat a way before the race about technical differences, myriads of details, strong points and weaknesses of chassis and engines on different sectors of the track. That is the racing.
Even in horse racing one of the most intriguing parts is "news" from the paddock: which horse is in good condition.
A solid portion of old magazines in winter were dedicated to the fascinating side of engineering: new cars, new hopes, new ideas. It was real life. And today? They just print histories of the past just to put holes in the news lines. They have nothing to write about. And we have nothing to cheer.

Of course, bosses of ELMS (and Le Mans, I bet) are quite happy about financial sustainability of their business, as there always will be people who want to race. But I do not care about their gains while there's no actual racing in it's classic form. It's understandable that they do not care if one or two crazy fans say this, they wouldn't care even if most of the fans will ask them to revive racing.

I think the future of racing is on the club level, where participants are not so scared as marketing managers to put new cars into a completely competitive and absolutely unrefined, advertising unsterilised and beautifully unpredictable environment. I wouldn't be surprised if new amazing inventions in car architecture will be made not in super-dooper "innovative" Le Mans but on a club level by some real mechanical enthusiasts. And I'm absolutely free of any nostalgic or pessimistic thoughts about "loosing racing icons" a la F1 or LM. I've read a book by Andrew Twort, about his 750 Formula adventure, and I value this sort of garagists much higher than the whole BoPped marketing circus of Le Mans. These kind of enthusiasts make the sport.