View Single Post
Old 22 May 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3977770)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm still very much in two minds about the whole "do I volunteer or not" issue but that's based more around the fact that there I have vulnerable family members and I don't want to affect them directly or indirectly. Yet part of me really wants to spend some time back trackside...
I'd love to be able to get back, but I feel this is too hurried. 'Let's find a way of getting racing back ASAP' to me is causing too much of a compromise.

Clearly there's some urgency to get some sort of marshalling method in place as there's pressure to enable the double GP. Then BTCC and GTs have issued calendars and also will need supporting. And then clubs, with variable degrees of thought will want to get something going if they can. For me we should pause longer to see what the prevailing conditions are and then see if it can be done.

The biggest thing for me is that if followed it's making marshalling into a job instead of a hobby and that makes me reluctant. It's yet to be seen how the racing will proceed but it's also a strong possibility that meetings may have fewer races and long stops so I get neither the marshalling fun or the racing fun (although if clubs have the sense to combine some fields, possibly crossing club boundaries, those few races could potentially have some huge and entertaining grids). Let's hope.

Given the personal risk of the virus and I've concluded that this season probably isn't for me. Progress of the disease may change that, and we may find it's fine, but I'm starting at no and may revise upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
Certain things have potential - "All reports to be issued by digital or telephonic means". There's be practical issues in this idea: but imagine being able to email your written report direct to race control mid-race!
This is something I've been talking about for several years. With PC/flag often being combined how much difficulty would it be to have a tablet on each post? Run timing to help the flags on long races. Pre-populated list of car numbers and some pre-listed check boxes. Click on car number, click on action (track limits/ran wide/overtook under yellows) and another car number if necessary and hit send. It could either email in or even just show as a thread so everyone can see it. Report is timed and instantly in the hands of RC. Programming can be anywhere from 'open a post in FB' to some clever trickery as per above, this is definitely a possible step forward.