View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4037859)   #2766
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
The name we give to a class is surely not important.

The cars in the GT classes bear only a passing resemblance to what can be bought in a showroom. They're no longer road-going cars.
This was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Equally, what started out in 1949 as prototypes - e.g. pre-production versions of vehicles that might have gone on sale to the public once developed, now have no similarities with production models.

The only thing we can say is that the GT classes are more in line with the original 1923 reasons for the race.

Personally, I like the mix. I already find LMP2 a little boring (they all look the same, just like F1 cars all look the same) and it's good to see a variety of vehicles on the track.

If it came to the crunch, I'd sooner see all GT than all prototypes.
No argument from me. I watched Le Mans a couple of weeks ago and noted the presence of "road going" Porsche 911s. I'm sure they were modified but nonetheless were probably the last time race modified road cars were entered. The McLaren was always homologated for racing and thus needed relatively little modification to race. The Viper was a complete beast in anything but road going trim. I once saw someone with one on a track display at Spa. Must have spun at every corner!