View Single Post
Old 25 Jul 2003, 12:39 (Ref:671062)   #43
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Remember what happened when Fisi and Jenson were on the same team?

Must be the English in you...
Not at all - I've actually been one of Button's biggest critics since he came along (that was the Ralf fan in me, knocking his team-mate ).

I never thought Jenson got a fair shot at Benetton/Renault - for the most part, Flavio Briatore was all too keen to find fault with him (which I always thought was because he could use all these problems to justify replacing him with Alonso, knowing that a lot of people would be critical of the decision).

Also, bear in mind the differing lengths of time they've been in F1. Fisichella first raced in 1996, and got his real chance in 97 driving for Jordan. He did well that year, most would say considerably better than Ralf, but hasn't really made an impression since. The way I see it, the most promising drivers of Fisichella's generation were noticed and given good drives, Ralf being the most obvious example. But since then, Fisichella has been overlooked in favour of up-and-comers, and I really think his chance has gone. He's won one race by the luck of being in the lead when a race was red-flagged, but most of the time fails to challenge. I honestly think that Button, with the right equipment, would be a better prospect.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'