View Single Post
Old 18 Oct 2022, 13:53 (Ref:4130717)   #408
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think your view is completely valid on the coverage. Same thing will probably happen with the Indycar unit when it comes online and the Nascar one eventually. They talk about racing the hybrid to improve street tech, but that is already beyond the race spec units!

We saw issues with the ECU that was supposed to be standard across DPi, some cars didn't use it as well as others, so the manufacturers were allowed to use an ECU of their choosing. Could have some type of issues with that again i suppose, but i think they are figuring all that out with the testing.
Well the hybrid is a 3rd party one so even the ones they might use in their customer cars will be quite different and provide different needs

Valid question - do people still buy cars based on that makes racing pedigree?
I doubt people who buy Ferraris, Porsches or Lamborghinis care too much about the makes F1 or sportscar racing record.

BOPed racing is proof of this to me. Manufacturers, especially in GT no longer make cars to a racing specification, they allow their product to be modified for racing and then the rest is dealt with by BOP - because racing has limited value to a makes customer base - Most former racing makes are now seen as luxury goods(Ferrari, Lambo , Porsche etc)