Thread: Rumours Budget cap revival
View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3574122)   #46
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I don't disagree with any of your comments but I still believe the key to putting F1 back on the right path lies with the FIA.......it's their Championship after all !

They need to produce F1 regs which allow numerous teams to be ultra competitive without having to spend hundreds of millions of pounds. The first place to start would be with the engines.

If the regs meant you could win races on a budget of £50m to £80m, then why would anyone need to spend 3 or 4 times as much? It's become far too elitist and expensive.....wind it back a bit.

Budget caps will never work but this concept might.
Plus 1.

I still contend that Mercedes have spent an unbelievable amount of money on the development of the current engine. I think they took a look at the current regulations and appreciated that if they could spend the R&D upfront and establish a huge advantage then nobody would be able to compete with them because of the restrictive rules.
The competition did not have the capital to invest up front, or did not appreciate how restricted the development would be.

Now we have a sport that is going down the tubes and a manufacturer enjoying its dominance and protecting a huge vested interest.
Any cost cap now would just further entrench their position.

The regs need to be changed and comparatively cheap engines need to be made available as per littleman's post above.