Thread: Rumours Budget cap revival
View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3139298)   #19
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Ahem. Maldonado & Perez. Both very quick, both bringing $$$… Not at the back, agreed, but neither are they consistently at the front and I would surmise each bring a *lot* more money than the combined pay drivers down the grid.

Perhaps we need a Concord definition of "crap"?
Well Maldonado spends most of his time crashing into other drivers, so the dollars he brings in is reduced considerably. But he is an ideal example. He is a pay driver, and if it weren't for his cash, he would be sacked already. He has won a race, (in a year that has seen more race winners because of Tyre differences), but other than that has done nothing but crash into people. Single race win or not, if he didn't have cash he would be shown the exit. Perez, on the other hand, is a Ferrari academy driver. He has shown class, and doesn't crash into people all the time. He is not a pay driver because he already proved himself to Ferrari without the cash.

Give the top teams third drivers, and they will bring the top drivers to F1. Allow also ran teams in F1, and it will be littered with pay drivers either holding up, or crashing into real drivers.

BTW, I would love to own an F1 team, but I can't afford it. I don't demand that F1 lowers it's entry fee to a couple of hundred pounds, I just accept it. That is what the likes of Virgin should do.