View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4166749)   #156
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dr Bob /Delta Classic Le Mans diary.

After the bun fight last year when we arrived on the Wednesday before we decided to get to Le mans on Tuesday.Still a bit complicated and I had to hand over 45 euro just to get into the outside field.Anyway after a lot of hanging around we were allowed in Tuesday evening. As I said earlier not the best spot as a lot of people had reserved camping spots.Delta son and myself got set up and then did our now usual bike ride to Arnarge for supper and then we went off around the circuit which we both love doing.Wednesday went fine and Dr Bob arrived and we got through scrutineering again spoke about this previously.
Thursday was for some fettering on the car and some more singing on for drivers club and briefing.I had a stroke of luck and was given a drivers club pass so happy days.
Friday qualy and all was good except for my super diff I had built was way to long.We were both going to do the night practice but it was wet and I only got as far as the Dunlop curve and session was red flagged. Dispite the wet weather i was disappointed not to of had a drive at night. Robert did a great job and was placed P30.
Up early Saturday and did the diff swop which took around 6 hours. I was knackard after all this with only a couple of hours sleep.
1st race in the evening and Robert did this race on his own and did good job coming through the field and ending up P5 on index.Car checked over and we waited for the night race that we were going to share.
Now what happened we will never know?. After 10 min Robert was in saying car was misfiring. Must admit did not sound good but she was running on all four and oil pressure and water temp ok so he was sent out only to come back in saying the engine was F--ked. Very very upset and dissapointed i took the car back to the our pit tent. Did compression check all good, checked points dwell angle and ignition all good, changed plugs and fired her up. By now its around 4 am.Fired her up and she sounded ok but very noisy from exhaust. Jacked up the car and shock horror the link pipe from manifold to silencer was missing.I had made this pipe as it runs along a channel under car and not just a straight piece of exhaust pipe. By now completely exhausted and miserable i took the silencer off to see what we could do. Welding equipment arrived along with bits and pieces of exhaust but as i laid the silencer down i noticed a large dent and scrape marks on the new silencer . By now its around 6.30 am and i decided to ram a piece of right angle exhaust onto the manifold and told Robert that its going to be noisy but all good.Decided to stay up but Stewart insisted we went to bed for a couple of hours. Greeted by a cheerful Dr Bob around 9 am telling me to do half the last race. Well the little car went like a rocket and we were pulling 8000rpm down the Mulsanne just short of 130mph she was singing and dancing all over the road. I had a great battle with a Porsche 356 wheich was just the best fun and we ended up P2 on index with both of us clocking low 5 min 50 sec laps. Yep as Will said loads of hassle, loads of traffic jams, loads of grief but for sure its the best race meeting ever. Roll on 2025. Just need to convince Mrs Dr Bob to let him come back.