View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2022, 12:24 (Ref:4119713)   #1040
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9203RW View Post
They look pretty good to me, certainly a lot sharper and better framed than my own meagre efforts. The first page looks like they were taken at the Dunlop chicane, is that right? If so, you've managed to eliminate any hint of catch fencing, the bane of the amateur photographer's life: what's the secret? Are you willing to share with us details of what equipment you use, your results give me something to aspire to next year.
Thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated .

Simmi is correct - the warm-up I shot from the Panorama tribune, standing on a seat at the back in the middle, just at the point where you can get over the fence. These pics are also all cropped to 16:9, which means what fence there was is cropped out. I also often rotate pics a little and centre the car to get the framing right. Some blemishes are edited out but the exposure/colour etc is unchanged.

Every one of these pics (indeed 99.9% of all my pics) are taken with Nikon D500 and a 70-300mm lens. I set shutter speed (usually 1/1000th, going down as the sun does) and max ISO (2000 - I prefer dark and sharp to fuzzy) and the camera does the rest.

The D500 is an absolutely outstanding camera which Nikon have sadly discontinued as they move to mirrorless, so I have just bought another one and will use my well-worn one as a backup. I find the 70-300mm lens to cover everything I need and that combo is light enough to carry around all weekend, use hand-held without wearing out my arms and pack in hand luggage alongside my step-stool, which is the other essential Le Mans photographer's item (I took the 9 inch stool this time, but I wish I had crammed the 18-inch one ito my luggage).