View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3395174)   #352
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I really, really don't understand some of the people here. I'm sure I'll get flamed for what I am about to say, but oh well.

You people (yes, I said you people) are on a motor sports forum, specifically it seems that a lot of you spend a lot of your time on a forum devoted to sports cars. It's 20 Euros! It's the same amount you would spend at dinner or the bar without thinking about it. Maybe if you're willing to shell out for the huge expense of 20 Euros for dinner you should go on a foodie forum or something instead.

When I was in high school I used to spend my own money to order pay per view boxing matches, because it was something I enjoyed. And oh ya, I didn't have a credit card either, I would offer to pay my parents a few bucks more in addition to the cost of the fight if they would let me use their credit card. No big deal.

Sure, it was free last year and that's great that it was. Well it's not free anymore and the cost is minimal anyway. I for one have no problem whatsoever giving money to them as it is something that I am passionate about and something that I get a lot of enjoyment from. I'm willing to get up at odd hours to watch the races and I am willing to pay a bit of money to do it.

Gotta question the level of some of these "fans".
I can understand your POV given your country flag, but over here we have the best TV in the world and it's always been 'free to air' so it's deep within our culture to not pay for TV. I know Sky have made a Bernie-sized fortune out of paid sport (mostly soccer) via satellite, but personally I've never paid to watch anything and never will. One of the benefits of the digital age is the wide dissemination of media at little or no cost. You say it's only €20 but it's only one series of a few races. I follow almost all motor sports, add up everything else they try to fleece us for and it's rapidly one or two hundred euros. If too many people pay 4 euros this year you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be 6 euros next year, and so on.