View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1937064)   #14
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the Audis have a little kit in their cars, I've seen the one from the R8 from 2004. That year, the Morgan went off at Indiannapolis with a fuel problem (pump or something) at around midnight, I was around there at the time right at Arnage and wasn't aware of it--had taken the RLM earplug out! --damn--and when I was walking back towards where I could get a lift back to the Mulsanne, the Morgan pulled out of the runoff area right in front of me and scrambled back onto the track. Surprised the hell out of me and I didn't even have time to take a photo which was really an example of being at the right place at the right time but having no clue of what was coming and my flash was in a pocket at the time!!! At the time I was quite knackered, having been on my feet and schlepping since before the start and had decided to get back for a wee nap before dawn....but the young driver had apparantly fixed the pump or whatever it was and the car finished the race, so the "anything can happen and it usually does" Murrayism applies to LM too.

so yes, mechanics can go to the car, but the regs state a certain distance they must keep from it (a metre or two IIRC) and can tell the driver what to do etc, but absolutely no objects can be passed to the car etc. This comes from the various "appearing tools out of the woods" scenarios that have happened, even one I remember reading about with a driver gettiing water from a nearby house to refill the rad, no-nos today.