View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3981371)   #163
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Arguably the greatest aerospace company in history is in the pits because bean counters had the last word over engineers.

I think Nascar's problem is similar. They have ex-racers in technical positions while marketing and accounting people make the decisions. They want a "family friendly" product to attract the biggest sponsors; so they fine/penalize drivers for speaking their mind. I remember "rasslin'" on TV in the '50's. Does anyone think that any fighting sports would exist today on media if the players hadn't been allowed to talk smack to/about each other? A Nascar driver mouths off and gets fined $/points; so they shut up. Of the younger half of Nascar drivers I have favorable opinions about a couple; unfavorable opinions about a couple of others. The rest I don't even recognize. I think this is what has cost them so many longtime fans.

I had hopes that Bubba Wallace would be a boost to the sport. I don't know if he has the talent to be a winner since Petty hasn't fielded cars capable of winning in some time. He has expressed some difficulty in dealing with stress over expectations vs results... not a good mindset for a racer.

I doubt Bubba's statement is going to gain as many fans as Nascar's decision is going to cost them. I don't know about Pocono or Chicagoland; but the last time I went to Talladega there were hundreds of Stars and Bars in the infield. Will Nascar turn away fans wearing Confederate flag shirts?.

If Bubba can't cut it in the long run; will he become Nascar's Colin Kaepernick?