View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2024, 15:40 (Ref:4202729)   #58
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
George panicked and binned it. Fernando's response on instagram is very sensible.
I had to look at his Instagram to see what was said. It all seems pretty logical. Drivers should be able to change how they drive and each lap should not be identical to others, in other situations there might not have been an investigation, etc. But its all a bit of "If my grandmother had wheels, she would have been a bike." as he leaves out the pertinent points about what actually happened in Australia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think Alonso can feel a bit hard done by there with the penalty. Ive watched the onboard with Russell, he just got too close and lost downforce in the middle of the corner.
You have to wonder how Russel all of a sudden gained on Alonso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
He won't have been the first driver to slow down deliberately on the apex of a corner, were people blind to Perez's antics during Abu Dhabi 2021? He was just blocking and weaving all over the place, true none of that resulted in a crash, but is that the requirement for a penalty to be imposed?
As I mentioned earlier, there is a fine line between legitimate defending and "gamesmanship" and dangerous driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Alonso may be peeved at receiving the penalty, but it's very telling that the team have accepted the penalty and are not appealing against it.

When you have another car tucked in behind you - 0.5 secs at the point that he first braked 100 metres early than would be reasonably expected based on all his previous laps, then a jab on the accelerator before braking again and downshifting - it has to be considered erratic and potentially dangerous.

And having viewed all the data available from both teams, that is what the Stewards decided happened. I'm sure that the team would have appealed if they felt that they had a reasonable case to argue, but I would think that they didn't and so the haven't.
Agree with all of this. Alonso and fans may not be happy, but he was likely playing games (which is fair), but it ended up being a bit too much and it caught Russell and him out.

My opinion is that he wanted to break Russell's rhythm and cause him to slow and sacrifice corner exit speed. And that yes, I believe Alonso when he says was trying to get a better exit on the corner, because (after slowing on entry) he would have been needing to push on exit to build back an increased gap on a slowing Russell! I don't think Alonso intended for it to cause Russell to crash out. I also don't think Russell did anything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Probably just waiting for Ben to make a phone call!
Good one!

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 25 Mar 2024 at 15:58.