View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1278301)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The Championship is an MSA licenced and backed championship, their main sponsor is the Engine Manufacturer Nicholson Mclaren. The championship is effectively managedby one bloke.

Shelsley Walsh is ran by the MAC (Midland Auto Club), which hosts four rounds of the Championship (two Rounds per weekend, two visits to the venue per year). There are a number of venues that run four rounds, and some that only run two rounds.

Shelsley is really to Speed Hillclimb as Spa is to F1, loads of history, a great atmosphere and a very exciting track, while it's loss would have been a massive loss to the seris, it would not have been a fatal blow. Thankfully, it has remained on the calendar, and I think everybody is glad that it's future is safer now. There are other venues on the calendar that cannot claim the same history or spectator pull, but are just as crucial a part of the appeal of the championship, Gurston, Prescott, Loton Park, Wiscombe Park and Doune for example - the championship wouldn't be the championship without any of the afore mentioned.

Shelsley and the MAC doesn't "run" the British seris, but it does hold a special place on the calendar, and has big influence within the world of Speed Hillclimb.