View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3668954)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
As a driver, you see a gap and go for it, that's why it's called racing
I am fine with that. See comments below for more about that concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
and as it says on the ticket - Motor Racing is dangerous, and as the late Don Trueman would say 'let's keep it that way'
I can only roll my eyes at that use of the "inherit danger" argument to justify dangerous driver actions. Its a worn out excuse that can be used for just about anything.

Anyhow, while I can't read the Autosport Plus article behind the paywall, I assume it was more pro-Max. And I have read the Motorsport Magazine article.

Anyhow, I wish I could find the link to an article I read yesterday or day before. It's not on my browsing history. I must have read it on a different device and browser. That article was a bit more of a mixed bag. It effectively said much (but not all) of what he did was on the edge of over the line, but still "Ok".

For example, the article said that turn one stuff is a melee, so while ill advise and unlikely to succeed, Max was going for a gap and the author gave him a bit of a pass. (As a sidebar, I personally don't think enough ink has flowed to talk to the point about Vettel's culpability in the turn one collisions.) But the author did not support some of the Max/Kimi interactions on the Kemmel straight. One point the author made was that it was clear during both the interactions during the red flag period as well as post race (and I have seen some quotes from Max in other articles that support this), that Max effectively felt that Sebastian and Kimi ruined his race and he was going to make them pay for it. That how he treated Kimi was not particular "hard racing" but "retribution". I am sorry, while it might be entertaining, that type of thinking has no real place "on track". Leave that stuff to NASCAR. It takes skill to race hard and clean, but it does not take skill to be a jerk on track.

My observation after reading various opinion articles on this topic is that you can live right on the edge of right and wrong, but if you step over the line occasionally, it drags along some of the "good" into the "bad" category. Guilty by association. Or in other words, your bad driving colors your good driving.

Frankly, I lost respect for him this past weekend, but if he just cleans up his act a bit and also accepts that sometimes he might be at fault, then he could win me back. He needs to mature. And at his age, having a nothing but "yes men" around you is not going to help. My wife (who is not a racing fan but knows enough because of me) said "he is just a baby!". She said it as an excuse for his actions. I said, maybe so, but he is playing an adult game.

Richard