Thread: Tyre rules
View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2020, 00:26 (Ref:3996100)   #12
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I think that the "start on the same tyre you qualify on" approach came in prior to the current parc ferme rules (but happy to be corrected if I'm mis-remembering). With the parc ferme rules now in play, there's probably less of a need to start on the same tyres IMHO.

I do like the idea of teams essentially having the choice between a supersoft and a hard tyre for racing and then letting the teams get on with it - anything from zero stops to multiple stops. Not having the "middle" soft tyre enables different approaches to be taken that have a larger impact on how a team runs the race.

We heard the radio calls from engineers re Lewis at the 2nd Silverstone race - they all knew that he'd need to stop again, so they were holding their drivers back, knowing that he'd have to stop. Once it looked like he might not, the pace was upped.

Far better if we had that each race - they all need to go for it (you know, actually race) if they want to achieve a good result.

Definitely worth trying I reckon - may well be unintended consequences but on the face of it, sounds good.