Thread: Tyre rules
View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2020, 06:43 (Ref:3996134)   #15
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought about it some more but I think getting rid of the only the requirement two have at least two different compounds wouldn't work because in this case it would lead to Mercedes just choosing the medium and do two medium stints. So maybe if the two compounds rule were abandoned you would have to add another rule:

At the evening before the race, teams must let the FIA know which tyre they start on but the compound may not be harder than the one they set their Q2 time on. Once determined they have to start on that compound and the FIA will announce their choice just before the race.

It may sound a bit artificial, but the requirement two use at least two different compounds is artificial as well. Replacing the two compound requirement with the above rule keeps the total amount of tyre rules the same but ads unpredictability in two ways:

1 Teams (and fans, extra element of surprise) won't know of each other on what tyre they will start the race, till just before the start.

2 Teams (and fans, extra element of surprise) will have less certainty about which tyre strategy their competitors are going to do during the race.

Might be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i also dont like having to start the race with the tires you set your fastest Q2 time with.

but at the same time i suspect that even if given free choice, the teams would ultimately coverage on the same tire use philosophy. we may see the odd driver try an alternative strategy but perhaps no more then we do now?
I would not be too afraid of that, because it depends on the tyre wearing characteristics of the car.

Quote:
either way, i would like to see how freedom of choice plays out. ideas like this need to be played out/tested in actual races before an informed decision can be made...so i go back to some races having different formats.
Yes, it's quite easy to experiment with tyre rules without large cost. Try it for three races and see what gives.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.