View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3556039)   #66
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Happy to do my bit - suspect at some stage I might ask for some reciprocal pointers about good US races to go to, so there's a bit of enlightened self interest involved here too...

In all seriousness though, it's perfectly possible to find some very nice hotels in striking distance of Le Mans which surprisingly aren't always booked solid around race time and offer the sort of spa / pool / treatment things that do tend to make a Le Mans trip a touch more acceptable to other halves. PM me if you want some pointers.
Well I shouldn't give the impression that my wife is one of those women who needs a fancy hotel room, or even a bed. She was there for the race last year ('14), camped from Wednesday until Monday and didn't complain one bit, she actually had a fantastic time. She just can't understand wanting to do that every year (as I would if I had my way). At the same time she would feel left out if I went by myself (as I did this year, not my fault though with the whole school thing). We'll see what happens, I've been planting seeds already...

As for your motives, no worries. I've managed to get to many races here in the states and am more than happy to give advice. I'd be more than happy to help point you in the right direction for booking trips to any race over here, if I don't know where to stay or how to get there or what not to miss I'll know someone else who will know the answers. Without getting into the whole topic of how sad and disillusioned I am with the current state of sports car racing in the US, I can confirm the following:

If you're looking to visit the most beautiful race track in North America (if not the world), want a track where there are numerous excellent vantage points to view from, and have an amazing playground just outside the track, look no further than my absolute favorite track (besides La Sarthe), Laguna Seca.

If you're looking for history, a great break from the dreary English spring weather, an insane party, and an excuse to abuse your liver, Sebring is the circuit for you. Yes, it's flat as a pancake, consequently the views on the track are not that great (they're actually pretty awful), but there is no better paddock in racing, and yes the parties are insane!

Road Atlanta is one of my happy places, one of those places that when I am there, no matter the event I know for certain there is nowhere else I would rather be at that time. It's a shame that Petit Le Mans isn't what it used to be, but I did have an excellent time there in April for The Mitty. Was even able to sit in the Robertson Racing Ford GT during that weekend.

There are others I have been to as well that I can recommend, Mosport has that incredible Canadian hospitality, VIR is the kind of place that you'd want to camp at even if there wasn't a race going on.

So yeah, any of my European tenther friends, please feel free to message me if you ever need advice, help, or want to meet up at a track somewhere on this side of the pond.

And if you really want to go nuts, if you manage to get over for VIR or Road Atlanta you'll be close enough to warrant a sporty car rental and a drive to the border of North Carolina and Tennessee. http://tailofthedragon.com
318 turns in 11 miles???!!! Yes, it's true and it is epic!