Thread: ELMS ELMS Discussion
View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3957828)   #362
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
How much of the Oreca thing was a numbers game from the start though, like the Cadillacs in IMSA? I mean, you can be just as fast and reliable, but if you're outnumbered 2.5-6:1, well, it gets a lot tougher, particularly in an endurance racing setting (unless you're Maserati at Caracas in 1957, in which case it just seemed like the Fates had it out for the Trident Badge).

And no, the Ligier has 4 wins in the ELMS, and the Dallara has 1; Dallara also just picked up a win in the AsLMS. So the Orecas/Alpines/Aurus can be beaten.
I understand what you're saying but don't agree.

There was no numbers advantage at the start. ELMS had 4 ORECAs in the first season of this generation of cars. Ligier had 5. Dallara had 4. The ORECA is a significantly better car. It has a large performance advantage that cannot be overcome with events aligning to allow lesser performing cars to beat it. Ligier won a Grand Prix, but you'd never say they were as good as Williams or Ferrari when they did it. Teams with Ligiers and Dallaras have dropped those cars to move to ORECA because of the advantage.

Dallara won in AsLMS, but there wasn't a lot of cars, the quality is lower, and it took several incidents for it to occur. It's hardly representative of the current situation. It's the exception which proves the rule. A Dallara win is note-able. An ORECA win is expected.

I'm not a fan of these locked in regulations. It doesn't allow manufacturers to respond. The best product wins and then the regulations force it to become dominant and nobody is allowed to try and beat it.