View Single Post
Old 14 May 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3976192)   #24
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Honestly they should just run Le Mans in 2021 as a 2 Class GT race (GTE & GT3-AM) and figure out what the prototype picture stands after all of the dust settles for 2022. This would bring a ton of manufactures (and their sponsorship $) to the race with great driver lineups. They should also scrap the WEC for a year (focus on the ELMS & AsLMS) and relaunch it in 2022. I don’t think Aston Martin survives the crash (their stock price is down to like 30 cents) this but you could probably lure Ford & BMW back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Yeah he basically left out the fact that both sponsors and rich guys are about to lose massive amounts of money. I still this a GTE/GT3 bridge until the next round of LMP’s is the right play short term.
Scrap the LMPs now and you'll never get them back, trust me. It's much more expensive to run LMP2s than GT3s at a place like Le Mans, and nobody is gonna justify a sudden and sizable increase in costs. And in the aftermath of the coronavirus justifying any major motorsport expenditures, particularly a multi-million-dollar program centered around one very big race and two fair-sized but expensive series, isn't gonna be easy.

If you went that route, all you'd get for the next decade is the same GT cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Jaime Klein on Motorsport.com has a solution for how the series should proceed in the future. It sounds reasonable, but he is just describing the ILMC. Not that that is a bad thing, and it would definitely make Chiana happy

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...-mans/4787978/
A truly stupid idea whose entire premise is gonna be based on teams being willing to do Trans-Atlantic trips for the series. Yeah, good luck justifying that.

If anything, they should be going in the opposite direction, entirely scrapping the WEC and directing everyone into the ELMS instead, letting IMSA do their own thing and keeping the AsLMS going only if it can draw a grid big enough to survive, which to be honest I highly, highly doubt.