Thread: British GT 2022
View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2022, 14:42 (Ref:4125425)   #163
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
TBH i just presumed that once one sport postponed the rest would follow because of the risk of "bad PR".

Official government advice is - "There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations."

Personally im glad that its a free choice.
The amount of sports actually going ahead is increasing by the hour.
It was a tough decision for football - and there is no real right or wrong in this situation - but football and boxing appear to be the exceptions currently.

Test Cricket, IT20, Golf PGA are all on this Saturday - and Horse Racing resumes on Sunday.

I think it seems disingenuous to claim that the DCMS guidance was anything more than just that - and each sport makes its own decision. There has been no 'instruction', or even guidance that suggest a postponement is the right thing to do. As you quote - the guidance is that on the day of the funeral, organisers of events are 'suggested' to avoid a clash of timings with the service.

British GT has no reason to postpone / cancel - unless the organisers feel otherwise.