View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3346662)   #81
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Length of the races is a nightmare for television. F1, Nascar and MotoGP are all driver-centric categories, the general masses mainly root for the drivers and not for the vehicles (excluding maybe Ferrari, but I think that is more comparable to a football club).

First one of these obstacles is fixable, but second one is obviously what the category inherits even in shorter race format.

WEC can grow a lot but in my opionion because of the last part it just can not reach the kind of mainstream status like the three series mentioned above. Hard to believe that even the old WS(PC) was close to F1 in terms of popularity - if it had been, it probably would not have died in a mere year.

Yeah, I understand all that. I was forgetting the sacrifice that has to be made on the altar of the great TV gods.... Sports car racing, as they say, has always been 'car-centric' or 'team-centric' and for my money, long may that be the case. I appreciate that this doesn't work in financial terms, but the compromises or sacrifices that have to be made aren't always worth it.....