View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2020, 09:45 (Ref:3989702)   #8
Trikes
Rookie

Australia
Australia Hobart
Trikes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Track / Hillclimb / Time Attack and Super Sprint a 04 Honda Integra Type R. Bought it with a decent pedigree from Interstate (here in Australia). It had some U/S traits which I wasn't happy about and I wasn't happy with the Lap Times. Whilst I did measure Wheel Rates and a few other things (just to bring me up to speed with the the car) the obvious thing to me being from racing 'other' FWDs - namely a Proton Satria GTi which ran rings around the Honda in any corner but hit the straight and it's all over for the GTi. Anyway I settled the U/S thing down by installing stiffer Rear Springs in (16's to 20') (Fronts are 16's). Lowered the R/C. Set the Front Toe Out at 2.0 and the Camber at 2.7. Rear has Toe In (just a little) with the wheels pretty much vertical. F/R ARB are the same size. Did just one thing at a time and the Results were a much improved car. I did have a chat with my tyre Supplier and I run M (255) up front with GS (Softs) (235) on the rear. Diff is a 1.5. I have full grip at both ends of the car about 80metres from the Start Line in most Weather. I have the car a little O/S on Turn In with the back end controlled with left foot on the brake pedal. Power is then added and once I spot the Apex the right foot is mashed to pull the car straight. It's that simple. I recently had a leading Mini Driver jump in the Honda and after two drives he said the car was 'sharp, very sharp in the steering'. To add something else I can outsmart myself and waste a lot of time by trying to work out everything but I've always used mind picturing of 'how can I go flat out through that corner'? Then I get out there and try some thing's. In a nutshell I fixed the U/S by making the back end come around sooner and in a controlled manor. It's now a case of 'What Understeer'? Honda went from being 2.5+ seconds outside the Lap Record to lowering them by 1.8 seconds plus in one season. It's regular Class winner and is always in the top few Outright. Any questions??? Fire away......

Last edited by Trikes; 20 Jul 2020 at 09:51.