Thread: LM24 Radio Le Mans 2011
View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2899278)   #70
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
oh dont get me started on that idiot, he and who ever gave him his job should be publicly floged, I mean serosly, do you know how many times he's shown a battle in the gte class buiding up, and just as the a pass was being made he flips the camera, and when the timing refreshes the pass was made! I actualy scrached my tv when I flung a remote at it.*lucky it was CRT.

but I knew that was gonna happen on eurosport. But RLM is a radio show, why do they need to coment the tv pictures, It would have been much nicer if they had acess to all the cameras on track like a tv director, and chose witch ones to coment. But I guess there will never be any real or even semi real GTE coverage, excemt maybe in the ALMS, where there are no LMP left.

//even without camera acess, with a dedicated reporter on the scene they would have acess to much more information witch they could pass along to us. If I can get the gist of it from live timeing and the race facts pages, I am sure a man on the scene would be much more capable.
Sorry but...I have to say a couple of things here.

1 John and the team are in a little cubicle at the far end of the ACO building opp the pits, Eurosport are housed there also along with the television feeds. If they wanted to get "their own feeds" they would also need "their own cameras" and "their own camera men" etc. if you look on you tube you can see the McNish crash with several different commentaries....but mainly the same pictures, unless its from an I phone etc, its only the same as bernies F1 circus, also, I believe that cubicle is opposite a great big monitor at the end of the pit lane. Radio Le Mans costs money to put on and as you rightly say in your post ITS A RADIO, why on earth would they employ their own television production company?

2 When you say "A dedicated reporter on the scene"....can you tell me, which scene are you referring to?...the scene where the overtake began?.....the scene where it was half way through?...or the scene when the overtake was completed?.....lol.I think you will find that you ARE getting it from a "man on the scene" well actually, several men on the scene ..I believe RLM operated at least two people in the pit lane at any time, sometimes three (that is quite a long lane to cover) and they constantly talk to the teams. During the build up to the race they have several features and interviews with key players/drivers etc . During the race itself they NEVER cut to a magazine program or something like that and I take my hat off to them for talking through two and a half hours of SAFETY CAR (they do a far better job than F1....but then again...ITS A FAR BETTER RACE
Trussers is usually buried in a catalogue of screens/figures etc which at any time can be used to tell you if a car is due in or not or indeed, knowing Paul, the weight effect of the additional fly in the cockpit would have on the 908!

I dont think you do that bad but you have to be realistic, unfortunately the GTE class is NOT as headline grabbing as LMP1, iits a tuff life but its true and that television feed goes ALL AROUND THE WORLD...and...as is clearly demonstrated here ....you cant please all the people all the time.

Consider yourself lucky....I remember the Le Mans Classic last year ...it was incredibly hot and the RLM team had ONE CAMERA...which, from what I could make out...was a CCTV road camera of some description...produced some of the funniest and most entertaining radio I have heard in years....So...as I say ...I take my hat off to them