View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1381601)   #7
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I just hope whoever rents that facility appreciates the spectacle they can see from there!!!
And that, GTR is what bugs me the most about going to the circuits these days. Although Cochrane keeps telling us how many of us are attending the races, we put up with some cr@p...

I went to Adelaide for four Formula 1 GP's and used to stand in the shade of a beautiful gum tree at the exit of the chicane. The memory of seeing Senna's yellow helmet come into view on a qualifying screamer is still enough to give me goosebumps 15 years later...

I went back to Adelaide for the 2003 Clipsal and in that very same spot was a corporate box. I arrived a little late (on a dodgy ticket from Sevi...) but as fortune would have it I ran into a mate who works for a big property management firm in Sydney. He was in that very box. Couldn't get me past the doberman on the gate so he came down, eleventieth beer in hand. I asked him who had topped the times in practice. He told me "didn't even watch it..."

Sure the corporates bring in the money but a large number of them aren't interested in watching so why plonk their tent in the absolute best spots on the circuits???

I watched the Toll boys on the Turn 1 hill at Queensland raceway and they seemed more interested in the TV monitors. (Given where Tratty is usually running I guess that's not a surprise)

I don't mind allocating some space for the corporates to do their schmoozing but how about we put them somewhere else? Like up the back of the hill? Like where the Castrol boys usually are at Hell Corner. Or inside Hell where Brockies big Marlboro emporium once sat? Better still put them in the new flash boxes above the pits and leave the rest of the circuit for those who are genuinely interested in what's going on????????
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19