View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2003, 19:15 (Ref:792323)   #13
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
This is a terrificly difficult debate which is always hijacked by those with views at either end of the spectrum.

The fact is that very many accidents have more than one factor and whatever the ABD say speed is very often one of them.

I'll give you a for instance - i've just got home after being stuck in an almighty jam caused by an accident involving a fire engine - the vehicle ended up on the exit of a roundabout upside down in a wooded copse and had clearly at some point spun through 180 degrees as well.

Now this is supposition but I'd guess that poor weather, poor visibility, poor road conditions, driver error (on the part of the firefighter or another driver or both) and yes speed all possibly played a part in that.

I have no time for cameras hidden behind road signs or on safe straight sections of road away from residential areas but the fact of the matter is that too many of us drive too fast for the conditions or the type of road.

Ther are good and bad camera sitings in exactly the same way as there are good and bad drivers.