View Single Post
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1477659)   #7
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Simon Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a big fan of Production Saloons and raced in it in 91. I believe it was killed by Group N. All the boys with the cash and enthusiasm for them at the time rightly wanted the faster cars and prestige so went to group N which became grossly expensive for what it was. Within 5 years both were dead firstly because the grids in Prods were depleated and secondly by the GrpN cars being so expensive to run.

Frankly the choice of cars open to the series from the mid 90's was also pretty uninspiring and slower then older stuff like the Civic's M3's and Skylines.

It was also a very expensive series to win races in because of product knowledge. For example a standard Golf 16v was 136bhp @ 7000rpm ish officially, the no mods allowd, production built to factory specification engines pushed out an easy 165 to 170bhp at 8000rpm if you knew the right stuff. It takes allot of time and skill to generate that sort of power hike in a standard and legal engine without a trick ECU but thats what prod saloons is about!!

The BRSCC tried to revive it in 2002 or 03 can't remember which and only 3 cars were built, 2 MG ZR's and a 106GTi. However, planning it for 2007 might just give it the kick start needed. I for one will be looking at it for 07.