View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3826139)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
My understanding is that the teams are demanding better service life, whilst the manufacturer insists that in order to improve reliability, the catagory must move to idiot-proof paddle shift technology.

It'd be cheaper to convert the cars to paddle-shift, than it would be to move to another type of transmission.
There seem to be lots of reports of changing transaxles during race meetings, and various cracking stories around the outer casing.

I do look at how some drivers treat the shifting though, Mr Caruso is probably the roughest we see on racecam, smashing the shifter hard on downshifts, which may be absorbed thru the linkage mechanisms, but some of that blunt force has to hit the transaxle somewhere...

The cost impost of the change will not be small, and without a secondary market capable of taking on the extensive existing stock, it will be a $100k+ decision per car (3 boxes) even assuming service life is better...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House