View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2003, 09:45 (Ref:491548)   #11
cathelly
Rookie

cathelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, interesting. You might find 24 more interesting than you think, because actually it is a bit 'melange-y' in structure. There are chapters which are written from journalists' points of view - 'reproductions' of articles about the team from imaginary magazines and newspapers. There are also quite long sections about setting up the car, aerodynamics etc., lots of inside-the-team detail, testing, and long racing sections. The last 3rd of the book is basically on-track at Le Mans. I wanted to make it quite different in structure from your normal novel.
The 'sexy' bits were always a bone of contention (excuse the pun) in my mind. I didn't want it to be gratuitous and I didn't want them to be really cliched. The language a lot of novels use to describe sex makes me cringe, and you won't find the word 'engorged' anywhere! In the end I left in the scenes which I thought were important to illustrate Martin Stone's character as an anti-hero, capable of the most irresponsible act, and as his closest 'friend' in the book finally observes, a selfish b*****d...
Thanks for the feedback. You're right - extending the concept to incorporate lots of other points of view would be interesting.