View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2003, 12:02 (Ref:492825)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't we all

The trouble with fiction about motor racing is that either it tries to be extra flashy and exciting, and falls back into a soap opera on wheels - which usually turns the racefans away; or they at least aspire to give a truthful picture of what actually goes on in the paddock, and that will then turn everybody else away because it's just not exciting enough. I can't say I really like any of the novels I know about motor racing. But that's probably because I'm a racefan, and will notice blatant inaccuracies. The very early ones - the trashy paperbacks and newspaper "cliffhanger" serials from the 20s or so - are usually the most entertaining because they are refreshingly naive; the bad guy bites the bullet, and the hero wins the race and gets the girl. Today the public knows so much more about what motor racing is (though F1 et al. try to shut them out again) that you just couldn't get away with this anymore.

Besides, the best stories about racing are written by the racing itself - 11th hour heartbreaks at Le Mans, comebacks from the deathbed, nailbiting battles all the way to the chequer (yes they still happen occasionally). And plenty of tragedy. It's tough for fiction to better them. And if you turned them into literature or movies, no-one would believe them.
("Let' see now - this is a 3 hr race, right - and the guy in the black car tries to catch the guy in the yellow car for a whole hour, everyone else drops out until these two are in the lead, and then on the last lap the guy in the yellow car runs out of fuel two corners from the end?? How cliché is that..." - Czech FIA GT round 2002).