View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2003, 23:39 (Ref:501906)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Volvo Motorsport Boss explains things - No New series

Olle Odsell sort things out
ETCC 09/02/03

Olle Odsell has earlier today at a Swedish Motorsport forum (www.svartamasken.com) explained all of the latest strange news about Volvo:

"I returned during the weekend from a stay abroad, and read with surprise the article in DN (Dagens Nyheter) from Wednesday (and afterwards a uncritical reproduction in GT and Expressen) concerning Volvo's racing plans. I was at the start of the week called by the reporter Sven Gustavsson, and he asked about our MD's (Hans-Olov Olsson) statement in AMS (Auto Motor & Sport) concerning Volvo's possible future commitment to Motorsport. I said to him that he wasn't to attach too much importance to the statement, and for sure not at the size of money that was mentioned.

How this can cause the headline in DN is unbelievable. Most parts of the DN article are SG's own speculations, and that it was supposed to be planned a FIA-class for sport coupe cars like the DTM is completely wrong. I have been present at FIA's meetings concerning Touring cars the last three years, and the single championship that FIA works actively for is ETCC.

Volvo have as earlier reported discarded the works efforts on the ETCC and STCC for 2003, but we have seen to it that the already built cars will come to use for private teams that can fix their own funding with sponsors. I can only agree with that it isn't good to jump in and out championships, but it has only got to do with economical reasons. We can only hope that the world economy and selling of cars gets better so that also Volvo can return to the racetracks.

For those who wonder Volvo will keep a small Motorsport department to among other things supports S60 Challenge, run homologations, etc., but during 2003 the activity will otherwise be maintained with quite low recourses.

Olle Odsell, Volvo Motorsport

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se