View Single Post
Old 25 Nov 2022, 09:40 (Ref:4134834)   #154
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Smaller lighter cars would be:

1 Much more nimble and fun to drive again (while maintaining current safety standards).
2 Cheaper to built and transport.
3 Use much less fuel.
4 Have better visibility.
5 Have less wet weather problems.
6 Have cheaper and easier to transport and handle tyres.
7 Be much more future compatible when the shift is more and more made to electric, where heavy batteries are the biggest problem.
I'm not sure that all of those characteristics are certain.

Could you expand on why smaller cars would be:
1 maintaining current safety standards - a significant part of the current car size is devoted to safety structures.
2 Cheaper to built - does smaller automatically mean cheaper? There may be less raw material, but miniaturisation of components in other fields has not automatically meant reduced cost.
7 Be much more future compatible when the shift is more and more made to electric, where heavy batteries are the biggest problem. - how so? Most automotive fields are seeing larger vehicles as the standard, as a result of modernisation.

But what I also note is that the argument is now being made for smaller cars as a whole, not just smaller wheels and tyres. I think that is a different argument entirely.

Smaller cars - one case
Smaller wheels on the current cars - a different case altogether.