View Single Post
Old 25 Nov 2022, 10:13 (Ref:4134846)   #155
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=crmalcolm;4134834]I'm not sure that all of those characteristics are certain.

Could you expand on why smaller cars would be:
Quote:
maintaining current safety standards - a significant part of the current car size is devoted to safety structures.

Do you really want me to explain how a smaller fuel tank, a smaller and lighter engine, Dropping the MGU-H, a smaller lighter gearbox and smaller and lighter wheels and tyres would lead to smaller lighter cars when maintain equal safety standards?

Quote:
2 Cheaper to built - does smaller automatically mean cheaper? There may be less raw material, but miniaturisation of components in other fields has not automatically meant reduced cost.

In this case it does, indeed mainly due to less RAW material and transport cost. Miniaturization in the field of for instance micro ships is a completely different thing. You don't need less of more or less the same, you need completely new technologies to push the boundaries of what is possible. So the comparison does not work.

Quote:
7 Be much more future compatible when the shift is more and more made to electric, where heavy batteries are the biggest problem. - how so? Most automotive fields are seeing larger vehicles as the standard, as a result of modernisation.

Already explained on this board. The most restrictive component in electric racing is the limited energy density of the batteries. An F1 car has quite a significant potential efficiency gain through flexible aero and size reduction. With more efficiency you can run a smaller battery and/or run it longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But what I also note is that the argument is now being made for smaller cars as a whole, not just smaller wheels and tyres. I think that is a different argument entirely.

Smaller cars - one case
Smaller wheels on the current cars - a different case altogether.

On this board and also partly in this thread, I have consistently argued for:

1 Smaller, simpler and lighter powertrains
2 Smaller cars
3 Smaller wheels and tyres
4 Reduced aero drag through flexible aero.

You suggest that I'm shifting my narrative whereas if you were paying attention and would invest more effort into understanding what someone is saying rather than in arguing, you would've notices there is no shift in narrative, all arguments have been made before and it all is interconnected.

All these four above points are being made to improve the handling, racebility and sustainability in both cost and fuel use. The reason I made a separate thread about smaller wheels and tyres that each subject is complex enough separately. To put everything in one thread would lead to a monster of a messy thread.

Anyway, this is all discussed before. Probably, I should know better than to make the same argument over and over.

Now, I'll get back from my high horse again.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.