View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 2022, 17:05 (Ref:4136485)   #165
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I don't think it is a confirmation, but an intention at the moment.

And I see no hint that the wheels will change in any way. The cars might become a little bit shorter, but I think that will be about all.
I agree

The cars didn't gain weight because the FIA said so. The teams asked for the increased weight. Each time there was a change, the team asked for an increase in the minimum weight. It is probably cheaper for a team to incorporate a new change by increasing the weight vs. finding a way to keep the weight the same or to reduce it. Cost is the driver here (see comments below).

It is my understanding that for the first part of 2022 season, the Red Bull was overweight. And it's late season form was partially due to them finally getting it down to the limit. So it appears the teams struggle to get to minimum weight as it is.

I welcome any idea of the car being smaller, lighter as long as it doesn't revert any safety feature (which they will not do). I can see making it shorter will reduce some weight. Yes, MGU-H will take some weight away. But is it not expected that the battery is going to be larger in 2026? The 2026 total power unit solution... do we really know if it is net "negative" with respect to weight? It might be, but let see. It should be less "complex" than today.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-formula...edia-statement

From the above, their stated goals are:

1. Significantly reduced drag to improve sustainability and efficiency and complement the Power Unit characteristics.
2. Maintain and improve on recent lessons learned about close racing and cars being able to follow each other.
3. Reduce car dimensions.
4. Reduce or contain car mass.
5. Sustainability: Continue path towards the standardisation or simplification of strategically-selected components for cost-cutting purposes. Expand the usage of sustainable materials or technologies and focus on recyclability.
6. Continued innovation in terms of car safety, moving towards active and connected safety systems.

I expect in the end it will be more about "contain" vs. "reduce" the car mass.

While it is not stated as a goal above, teams will not want the cars to be radically different than today due to the cost of switching over and loss of knowledge. For example are they likely to make significant tire changes in 2026? My guess is no. If anything, they could reduce the width ever so slightly if that gives them something, but I just don't see them throwing away the data between now and 2026 with respect to tires. Especially as it is likely the 2026 cars will mostly likely use the same aero concepts as today.

Richard