View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3723979)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It could possibly be abused as well - Ford could run around at half speed in a way the computer calculates as legit, gives it a boost and then it magically ends up miles ahead. Which is exactly what happened last year.
I don't follow GTE as much as I used to, so I am out of the loop. I looked at the GTE technical regulations to see what sensors are mandated. As best as I can tell, it looks like stuff like intake, boost, restrictor throat and manifold pressures, lambda probe and various temp sensors. No mention of something like a torque sensor on the engine.

That doesn't sound like enough to really expose true performance in an objective way. I believe on the LMP1 cars they are required to provide a slew of values. Fuel pressure, fuel flow, boost pressure, various temps and most importantly... engine torque!

I suspect that with what is currently required for GTE, they can still hide performance if they want. While it is much harder to do with LMP1 because those cars are effectively on a dyno all the time. So the organizers know the true performance. Showing your hand when previously hidden just provides objective numbers as to how much you were previously sandbagging. I think on the LMP1 side, that can result in penalties (such as any cheating/sandbagging on the stated efficiency of your engine... BSFC)

It may be an unpopular opinion (due to cost), but I think they need to measure more on the GTE cars if they want to really get BoP correct. Hopefully they use more than just lap times and trap speed values!

Richard